tips for filling out an application
Even though you will likely have already submitted a resume and/or cover letter, almost all employers require that you also fill out an application. A resume is a good reflection of who you are because you created the resume yourself. On the other hand, the application is created by the employer. This doesn't mean it's not important though. It is just as important as a resume. How you fill it out is still a reflection of you.
- Make sure it is complete and accurate. Do not leave anything blank and don't put anything down that isn't true. If something doesn't apply to you, simply write "NA", meaning not applicable.
- Have the information you will need ready. For example, they will want all your personal information. If this is for a job, they will need your social security number. Another example is for a reference section. Know the phone numbers and addresses of your personal references. **It's also a good idea to ask someone ahead of time if they will be a reference for you.
- If filling out on paper, write clearly and neatly using black or blue ink.
- Proofread the entire application before turning it in. Make sure there are no spelling or grammatical mistakes.
- If you have previous work experience, list your most recent job first. Same thing goes for education experience.